Saturday, February 21, 2009

Cover this!

These articles were very extensive and provided some good tips. There were also parts that I was not a fan of. The following thoughts are not in any particular order, more or less just a ramble through my mind (isn't that what blogging is all about?)
These people claim that cover letters are the last thing read. Bologna! In all of my several work settings, my experiences have been that cover letters are first. One of my past employers told me that the cover letter will indicate to him whether or not he will even look at the resume. So, for the authors to say that a good-looking resume will grant the decision to look at the cover letter does not make any sense to me.
Then, the speaker talks about how the cover letter should not be about you, but more about the company. I agree 50% with this statement. I believe that a job applicant should focus on the company's needs and how the applicant will help meet those needs with his/her given skills set. This will give a good idea about the person's personality and work style/ethic/etc.
The cover letter should be specific and personal. This was a good tip. The employer will notice a cover letter and thusly a resume if he/she realizes how much time the applicant spent to ensure the personalization of the letter. It is very common to see very similar cover letters and even resumes (especially out of college), so you must set yourself apart from the "rest of them" if you want to succeed in today's workplace. Being specific, driven, and personal in your cover letter will show your employer what an asset you will be.
Then, these people gave a sample letter with the appropriate format. I liked the format because it allows you to explain who you are, why you are writing for this job, and how you will meet the company's needs. Also, the "closer" allows you to make this "sale" what you want to be.
I hated the idea of a handwritten postscript. This seems completely cheesy, fake, and unprofessional to me. If you are going to enter a new branch of the workplace, you must get off on the right foot, unless your right foot is your left. I think that you should remain classy, and professional throughout the interviewing process, unless that is just me. If you want to exude a level of cheesiness and fakeness and unseriousness, then go for it, write a P.S.
Also, I believe that references and testimonies should not be offered unless requested by the employer. It makes you seem like what you have to offer is not enough on its own. Let your resume and personality in your cover letter explain why you are the right person for the job. If your potential employer wants to know about your past work experience further, he/she will ask for references.

P.S. Just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment