Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tower of Power (point)

Over the last couple of weeks, I have had the opportunity to listen to my classmates make presentations on various topics. I especially enjoyed the wide variety of issues discussed and I have learned a lot of new information. It was also interesting to see that people presented for different reasons. Some people used humor while others were serious and were trying to persuade the audience. The three presentations I enjoyed most were Laura's, Scott's, and Harry's topics.
Laura's gymnastics topic was very interesting, informational, and persuasive to my ears. The issues and evidence supporting a Clemson gymnastic team were very convincing and seemed relevant and pertinent. I learned a lot about the quality of South Carolina high school gymnasts and the simple fact that there is no collegiate gymnastics program available in South Carolina. Also, I learned all about the revenue available when gymnastics programs are in place. All of the evidence that Laura provided were explained concisely and appropriately. Overall, the topic was very effective in informing me of the issue at hand and persuaded me to possibly support the program.
Scott's presentation on the JetLev-Flyer was incredibly informational and I got a huge kick out of the whole thing. It was definitely one of the more memorable presentations based on content alone. The delivery of the information was parallel to a stand-up comedian telling a joke. I thought that the subject matter Scott chose to inform about immediately got the audience's attention. Interesting information paired with humor will always keep me rapt in any situation.
Harry's talk about Asian stereotypes could have been the funniest presentation of the group so far. I think that Harry immediately set a great rapport with his audience by effectively making fun of himself and saying it was okay to laugh with him. I especially enjoyed his use of visuals. Also, Harry did a great job of "talking off his slides." He did not write too much on his slides, but was able to communicate exactly what he wanted to based on limited, but effective text.

Overall, the presentations were very fun to watch, and I learned a little bit about a lot. I hope that I educated my peers about my issue as well. Most recently, 5 rockets were fired into Israel today from the Gaza Strip. No casualties have been reported, but Israel responded with air strikes. When will this end?!

Select any three presentations that your classmates gave in the last few classes; base your selection on how much you enjoyed the presentation. Write about what made this presentation so enjoyable. What did you learn? What made this person an effective presenter?

No comments:

Post a Comment